How to Let Christ Live in You
This is a classic sermon of Pastor Smith on the topic of how to gain victory over besetting sins and temptations.
Instead of putting up a fiercer fight, learn a better way - the biblical way... Listen to pastor Smith as he explains the "how" when it comes to dealing with temptation.
A must watch for every sincere Christian!
Want to Watch This Sermon on iTunes/Apple TV?Subscribe to our video podcast on iTunes:
How to Let Christ Live in You - Sermon Summary2 Corinthians 12:7-10
So far we discussed:
- Struggle every Christian has with temptation & sin
- Even though sinful natureís power broken at cross
- That fact alone not give victory over sin.
- We not have ability to overcome temptation & sin
- No matter how much effort we exert
- Even if ask God to add His power to our effort
- What it means to let Christ give him the victory
- Will not experience consistently obedient life
How Does it Work?James 1:14-15 - How temptation works
How do we let Jesus live out His life in us?
- When become aware of temptation to sin choose to turn your mind immediately away from it
- Believe that your sinful natureís power broken.
- Believe Jesus is in you.
- Ask Him to manifest His virtue in you in relation to the temptation Ė anger, impatience, impure thoughts.
- Believe He will manifest Himself in that manner.
- Rest in that belief and donít fight the temptation.
- When we fight temptation we are actually focusing on it & trying to resist it in our own strength.
- Thank Him for the deliverance He has just given you.
- You allowing Jesus to live out His life in you every moment of every day.
- The victory is His.
- You are simply choosing to let Him manifest His virtues in and through you.
- You are always free to not make that choice and focus on the temptation.
- When that happens the sinful desire is conceived and will bring forth the sin (James 1:14-15).
- "Dark pleasure" by holding onto the anger and choosing not to forgive them.
- Feel they donít deserve to be forgiven
- God commands us to forgive (Mark 11:25-26)
- God commands us to love them - Matthew 5:44
- We unable to forgive and love our enemies.
- We may do it intellectually,
- Our pride & selfishness not allow us to forgive from the heart.
You can simply say,
- "Lord I am a sinner and cannot forgive Jim or love him. So I give up trying.
- I ask You to manifest Your forgiveness and love toward Jim through me.
- I trust You, and rest in the fact that You are doing this right now.
- Thank You Lord for the forgiveness and love you are manifesting in me at this very moment."
- You will feel the compassion of Jesus for the person you are asking Him to forgive and love through you.
- You will feel within yourself the desire to pray for them and perhaps even with tears.
- In this manner Jesusí character, love, virtues become a integral part of our life.
- That is Christianís part in obtaining the victory over every temptation and sin.
- They think giving God their will means they are to also exert their "will power" in order to obey.
- Christ living in us and manifesting Himself in and through us.
Thorns in the FleshThis truth presented when Paul describes his struggle with the "thorn" in his flesh (2 Corinthians 12:7-10)
Many things can be thorns in the flesh.
- Paul lists some of his; infirmities, reproaches, necessities, persecutions, distresses.
- God said no.
- Godís grace was all Paul needed in order to deal with the thorn.
- "My strength is made perfect in weakness."
- The sooner we stop trying to exert our puny strength to overcome a thorny temptation in our life,
- The sooner we will begin experiencing Godís mighty power in our life.
- Gets in the way of Godís power to deliver.
- He is the victory.
- Christ is our deliverance from temptation.
Iím sure you have prayed for God to remove these thorns of besetting sins.
- They have brought discouragement and defeat
- God leaves them because He wants you to learn the lesson that His strength is made perfect in your weakness.
- You along with Paul will declare,
Thank You for the Thorns!You will come to the point that you actually thank God for the thorns in your life. Why?
- Because of them that you came to experience the amazing delivering power of Christ.
- Because of them Christ has become even more precious to you.
- You have found Christ giving you ever present victories over your temptations
- Your praises of Him fill your heart.
- They are opportunities for Godís glory to shine forth through you as Christ manifests His life in and through you.
- They are opportunities for you to become more and more like Christ in those areas of your life as He manifests Himself more and more in your life.
2 Corinthians 6:10)
- Even in midst of most difficult circumstances you will be able to rejoice
- Because Jesus is manifesting Himself in you.