The Word of Anguish
When Jesus was hanging on the cross, there was a moment when He felt God was no longer with Him.
Watch this sermon to find out what that meant for Christ and what it means for you today.
Want to Watch This Sermon on iTunes/Apple TV?Subscribe to our video podcast on iTunes:
The Word of Anguish - Sermon Summary
- Christ has been with Father from eternity
- Object of Father's love
- Christ's joy - be in Father's presence
- Not a moment passed w/o consciousness of Father's presence John 5:19
- 33 years enjoyed unbroken communion with Father (John 14:10)
"My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
- Words mark climax of Christ's sufferings
- Most painful of all His sufferings
- God never forsaken His people in past
- Ps 37:25 David's proclamation
- Most solemn words ever spoken
- Aw-inspiring display of God's inflexible justice
Here we see character of sin
Because of sin:
- Adam brought death to himself & his race
- Cain murdered his brother
- At cross - men crucified their own God
- Isa 59:2
- Gen 4:14 - sin separated Cain from God
- On cross sin separated Christ from father (Isa 53:4-6)
- 2Thes 1:9 - sin separates eternally - Christ could not see beyond tomb
Here we see:
- Absolute holiness
- Inflexible justice of God
- Exhibited His holiness
- Satisfied His justice by pouring out His wrath on one "made sin for us"
- Answered by God - Ps 22:1-3
- "But thou art holy"
- Causes Him to hate sin
- Opposite: Man's sinfulness causes him to like sin
- Because of the sins of my people that are placed on me.
- On cross God's holiness = hatred of sin clearly seen
Here we see the destiny of all who do not choose Christ
- Words - foretell final condition of every lost soul
- Forsaken of God!
Here we see explanation of Gethsemane
- Matt 26:38 said "exceeding sorrowful"
- Greek - "I am overwhelmed with sorrow
- "I am plunged into sea of sorrow in anticipation of God's wrath"
- Place where life blood of olive pressed out drop by drop
- On cross - Christ drained the cup presented to Him in Gethsemane
Here we see Savior's unswerving fidelity to God
Rev 13:8 everlasting covenant
- God promised to provide salvation
- At cross Christ revealed God will not and cannot lie
- Num 23:19
- Ps 15:4 - we to be like God
Here we see basis of salvation
On cross Christ received curse of sin for us
- Gal 3:13 - Christ made a curse for us
- Removed to place outside camp
- Why? God's presence in camp
- Removed away from God's presence
- Heb 13:12 - Jesus crucified outside camp
- Away from God's presence
- Our sins dealt with in Christ
- God's claim against us fully met
- Christ forsaken by God & separated from God's presence for a season
- That we might dwell in His presence for ever.
Here we see supreme evidence of Christ's love for us John 15:13 - greater love hath no man... Christ's love for us revealed in fact:
- Sinless, pure, holy one - allowed sin to engulf Him
- One who dwelt eternally in God's presence - allowed himself to be cursed and forsaken by God
Conclusion"My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
When we recall these words of Christ let us remember:
- He entered the awful darkness that we might walk in light
- He drank the cup of woe that we might drink the cup of joy
- He was separated and forsaken by God that we might be forgiven and dwell in God's presence forever.