How to Overcome Sin
Pastor Smith starts with Apostle Paul's assertion that it is utterly impossible for us to free ourselves from our sinful nature.
If you experienced repeated failures when trying to overcome your anger, pride, envy, lust, etc, this sermon is for you. It is interesting how many times pastors talk about this topic and yet how few Christians are consistently victorious over sin.
Want to Watch This Sermon on iTunes/Apple TV?Subscribe to our video podcast on iTunes:
How to Overcome Sin - Sermon Summary
- Power - sinful nature
- Impossible - free by own efforts.
- Romans 7 - Paul described futility trying to obey
- Many sincere Christians don't realize this.
- Put forth efforts to overcome
- Ask God to add His power
- Sinful nature's power - efforts ultimately fail.
- Result - become discouraged, frustrated, bewildered
- Question if really a Christian.
Sin's Power Broken at the CrossMany aspects to the good news of the gospel
- One aspects -at cross power of the sinful nature broken for all who accept Christ and believe - Romans 6:6, 11
- Becomes reality -if we believe it.
- Unloving you, unforgiving you, angry you, lustful you, anxious you died at the cross.
- Don't have to be controlled by
- Our unloving attitudes, unforgiveness, anger, lustful thoughts and desires, etc.
- Power of these sinful desires, attitudes and behaviors is broken.
A Wrong ConclusionProblem - most Christians conclude:
- Should then be able to obey God with His help.
- Reasons- if power sinful anger broken at the cross Can now stop being angry when something happens to cause him to become angry.
- Feels great relief & confident - now have victory.
- Soon something happens - cause anger.
- Someone cuts him off while driving or
- Someone says something unkind.
- Immediately anger arises.
- He puts forth efforts to subdue it.
- Anger keeps lingering.
- He turns mind away from event or words
- He tries to reason -about not being angry
- Sometimes anger leaves
- Other times lingers.
- Sees person who spoke unkind or critical words
- Still feels anger
- Doesn't want these feelings -
- Seems helpless to get rid of them.
- Begins questioning -why he still feels anger
- Concludes -
- Must not received enough power from God
- Pleads with God to:
- Remove the anger,
- Give him the power needed;
- Give him the victory.
- Re-reads the Bible verses about death of sinful nature's power
- Rereads Bible promises:
- "I can do all things through Christ who strengthenth me." (Philippians 4:13).
- Confident now - ready for the temptation
- However - continues to experience the same patter Overcome by besetting sins.
- More confusion - feelings of defeat.
- Again questions his sincerity - has no peace
- Power of our sinful nature was broken at the cross.
- We can begin obeying God by putting forth efforts
- All we have to do is believe sin's power is
- Face temptations with that attitude.
- Such faith and knowledge alone will not give us the victory
Christ Gives the VictoryKey to victory
- Let Christ live out His victorious life in you.
- Your Christian life never again the same.
- Instead of life of:
- Sporadic obedience
- Broken promises to God
- Will in time experience life of consistent victory
Is It Possible?Is such a consistently obedient life really possible?
- Can we truly have victory over every temptation and sin?
- That is the kind of life God in the Bible calls us to live.
- Remember the Bible verses previously quoted: Romans 6:6, 11-12, 14
- Victory over temptation and sin is possible
"Moral perfection is required of all." Christ's Object Lessons, p.330
"'The prince of this world cometh,' said Jesus, 'and hath nothing in Me.' John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us." Desire of Ages, p.123
We are fast approaching Christ's second coming.
- Christians living when Jesus returns
- Will have gained victory over every temptation and sin
- 1 John 3:2
- Just like Jesus in character, nature, authority
- Indicates the level of victory they will have attained
How Can It Happen in Your Life?Question: How can we live a consistently victorious Christian life?
Answer: Letting Jesus live out His life in us.
This truth is taught throughout the Bible:
We will have Christ's mind manifested in us:
- If we asked Christ to live in us thru B of HS
- If we believe He does
- If we believe He will manifest His love, His pure, holy, virtuous thoughts in our mind.
- Believing He will manifest Himself in our life.
The Problem of Previous DefinitionsDifficulty - Christians know words and phrases I am using
- Bring own definition
- We must stay connected with God
- He will add His power to our efforts to obey
- Christ living in us means:
- He is there to strengthen us in our efforts to over come temptations and sins
- That is not what these verses are saying.
- Our efforts - ineffective in overcoming sin
- Even when - believe God adding His power to our efforts.
- We all tried that method: Failed again and again.
- Lay aside your previous definition of what it means to have Christ in you
He Was There All the TimeFirst, We must believe Jesus literally abides in us.
- His mind (1 Corinthians 2:16),
- His love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance (Galatians 5:22-23),
- His likes and dislikes,
- His pure thoughts,
- His forgiveness
- With this knowledge we to meet the temptations
- They accepted Christ by faith and believe they are forgiven.
- They think they need to work hard at becoming Christlike by putting forth efforts to obey Him.
- In efforts to obey- ask God to add His power to these efforts.
- All such efforts are doomed to failure.
- Not becoming Christlike
- Not always having Christ's help or power to resist temptation.
- What I am presenting is so much better than that.
ConclusionThe truth is:
- Christ wants to literally live out His life in us;
- Not simply add His power to our feeble efforts.
- We have no ability in and of ourselves to obey
- Even though power of sinful nature broken @ cross
- If believe power of sinful nature broken at cross
- Allow Christ to give us the victory.
- Learn how to allow Christ to live out His live in us.